Custom Built 100mm F-13 Refractor with Carton Objective
Custom Built 100mm F/13 Refractor with Carton Objective
- Includes 9X50 RACI illuminated finder, laser finder, dual speed 2” Crayford focuser, 2” diagonal, scope rings, mounting plate, and solar filter.
- Very good condition. No scratches or dents.
- Ray traced and fully baffled
- Long-travel focuser allows prime focus photography
- Objective is Carton NOS (New Old Stock) 100mm F/13 achromatic objective with Magnesium Flouride coating. This is one of the best objectives ever made. Quoting Ed Ting from his Carton 100mm F/13 Telescope Review: “The Carton notched .9 arc-second Eta Corona, which is well below the 1.1 arc second theoretical limit for a 4" telescope. Porrima, Izar, and Xi Ursa Major all proved easy fodder for it, and I cannot wait to look at Saturn when it comes around again. Even at 500X, the scope's airy discs are tight, round little balls with a dim first diffraction ring. This is the way stars are supposed to look, and we don't see it often enough.”
- This refractor was built with all high-end components:
- Carton 100mm F/13 Fraunhofer Doublet Objective with MgF2 coating
- 1/16” thick wall aluminum tube
- Epoxy paint
- Custom machined, rotating, long travel 2” dual speed Crayford focuser by Dan Crawford (Crawmach Machining), fully anodized
- Custom machined fully adjustable push-pull objective mount by Crawmach, fully anodized
- Carton lens shade
- Hinged, quick-release tube rings tapped 1/4-20 for camera mounting
- Losmandy DUP14 Universal dovetail mounting plate
- Astrotech 99% reflectivity 2” dielectric mirror diagonal
- Stellarvue F50-M2 RACI (right angle correct image) illuminated 9 x 50 finderscope and mounts
- Hotech laser finder on Orion mount
- Solar filter made with Baader film provides excellent sunspot viewing
- All stainless steel fasteners
- Dust cover
- This scope provides sharp, high contrast observing and at F/13 it is well within the Sidgwick criteria and has no chromatic aberration issues.
- Local pickup only. I really don’t want to take a chance on this scope getting damaged during shipping, and then going through the hassle of an insurance claim.
Price for scope and all items detailed above is $875. I have $1200 invested in this scope and many hours of labor. Recently a home-made refractor with a 100mm Carton objective sold on the Carton Club web group for $1100, and it had no finderscope or diagonal.
I also have an excellent equatorial mount, a Losmandy GM-8 with digital tracking. The mount is in very good condition and has the optional anodized aluminum motor covers, an optional Losmandy G-11 saddle plate (G11SPTAK), an additional 11 Lb counterweight; custom eyepiece tray, and Gel Cell 12V battery. I have $1150 invested in the mount. I will sell the telescope and the mount together for $1700.
- Anacortes Telescope
- Astromart Customer Service
- Waite Research
- TeleVue Optics
- nPAE Precision Astro Engineering
- ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY BY MARTIN PUGH
- Desert Sky Astro Products
- SkyShed Observatories
- Optique Unterlinden (Europe)
- Anacortes Telescope
- AstroMart LLC
- Matsumoto Company
- Rod Mollise
View all sponsors