Wanning Crescent and Venus

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Caution to the new guys..

Started by Midnight Sun, 02/18/2008 10:42AM
Posted 02/18/2008 10:42AM Opening Post
If you are new on the Mart and trying to build a good looking rate profile, check with the seller or potential buyer to see what his/hers received vs given record is. The reason I mention this is because you may not "receive" the 5 star rate you deserve, as a matter of fact you may not receive any feedback at all.
I recently left a guy 5 *****'s for our deal.. week later I noticed he had not reciprocated.. I have left several "reminders" in his message box..still no rate from him. Checking on his rec vs. given ratio I now know why I probably won't be getting a rate. He has like 70 received rates and has given 15... do the math.. JM

Posted 02/21/2008 03:23AM | Edited 02/21/2008 03:27AM #1
John Meiners said:

If you are new on the Mart and trying to build a good looking rate profile, check with the seller or potential buyer to see what his/hers received vs given record is. The reason I mention this is because you may not "receive" the 5 star rate you deserve, as a matter of fact you may not receive any feedback at all.
I recently left a guy 5 *****'s for our deal.. week later I noticed he had not reciprocated.. I have left several "reminders" in his message box..still no rate from him. Checking on his rec vs. given ratio I now know why I probably won't be getting a rate. He has like 70 received rates and has given 15... do the math.. JM

A few thoughts:

- As Gary P. said, rating are not mandatory. This is an optional part of any transaction and not a requirement. A rating is a gift.

- I don't give ratings to get ratings, I could care less about my own ratings.

I give ratings so that I can let other people know how a transaction went. A rating is a gift to the person I am rating, but it is primarily a gift to the community in general. It says "Hey folks, yeah, this guy is a good guy to deal with." Or "Things went a little slow but it all worked out."

- If you a want a rating, include that in the initial negotiations. That way the other party is aware and prepared. I understand the need for someone to establish some ratings so making sure the other party is aware of your need is best done from the outset.

- The validity of the ratings are not in the number of stars, it's in the descriptions, read the ratings, it doesn't take that long.

- Lighten up... Deleting ratings because you weren't given a rating, I can't believe it.

I am not here to count ratings or try to establish my own worth. I know my worth, I know I try to make every deal work out, I try to accurately decribe anything I am selling, no "minty" in my descriptions. I know the flaws and I describe them accurately.

My goal when I start a transaction is "Happy buyer-Happy Seller", I want to feel good about the deal when I am done. I conduct myself in a manner consistent with making sure I am happy and the other party is happy.

- I am here to be a part of a circle of trusted friends all of whom give freely, thinking of the other guy before themselves.

The other day I sent a small mirror set to someone for their kids. I paid the shipping, the mirrors were freely given. When I do something like this, I don't expect a rating, I could care less, I did it because I had the mirrors and somebody needed 'em. The reward for me was the chance to give.

- That's about it. Don't worry about your ratings, worry about making sure that you are honest in your descriptions, that you promptly reply to the other party, that you pack the items carefully and that you ship promptly.

Do that and you needn't worry about your ratings.

Jon Isaacs