How would you rate this one ?

Started by progenitor, 01/20/2006 03:14PM
Posted 01/20/2006 03:14PM Opening Post
Generally I do not accept lowball offers and this was one variant of them when he introduced himself asking me to pay for shipping. I saw an email from an edu domain (I said - some poor student, maybe) so we had a deal. I sent my address and asked for a check. No, he prefers Paypal. I explained that I have Premier account with associated fees and gave it to him expecting that he will add the fee difference. He did't. I gave him the last hint notifying that I am going to use the cheapest parcel post shipping if I have to pay for both shipping and Paypal fees, he replied that's fine with him.

We are speaking about couple dollars here, but this makes it worse in my eyes if somebody likes the deal for himself so hard. I would not deal with this person again.
Posted 01/20/2006 03:53PM | Edited 01/20/2006 03:53PM #1
Generally I would say that once you agreed to anything less than your original ad, the whole deal becomes a negotiation. He made an offer and you accepted it. If he lived up to the deal you accepted, it is a good transaction and should be rated that way. Now, it may not be a deal that you liked because the terms weren't even or in your favor, but if he lived up to the "deal", I would say you have to give him a favorable rating. Whether you choose to do business with him in the future is up to you. You could have simply refused his offer.

Bruce
Posted 01/20/2006 04:24PM #2
Hugh Peck said:
..Did you specifically state that you would only accept PayPal if he paid the fees or did you just tell him there were fees associated with the premier account?..

... Everything need to be made clear. Hints don't work.

Hugh
Just told him.
I agree with you, Hugh. It is that I just expect a (in my eyes) common courtesy.
Posted 01/20/2006 06:42PM #3
David, If it bothers you to give him a favorable rating, perhaps you should not rate him at all. I believe that's what I would do.

Darian R.
Posted 01/20/2006 07:27PM #4
Hi David,
I understand your situation and I have also been there. But, I did not state + 3% for Paypal, so it was my fault not his. This is why I now state Paypal is + 3% when dealing with anyone.
If I pay with Paypal I do not add 3% unless it is stated by the other party, I assume he does not want the 3% surcharge if it is not mentioned.
A for a bad rating, I think not. If he did not deceive you or not abide by the terms of the agreement that you made verbally, then you should rate him as you wish. But not because you did not like the terms after the fact.
Your only choice is to return his money and seek another buyer. Then he would have the right to rate you for not keeping the bargain.
My humble opinion. 8)

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager