people make offers and then disappear

Started by vct, 05/20/2008 12:52AM
Posted 05/20/2008 12:52AM Opening Post
i am not sure if this qualifies for a rating issue but,
i have sold some smaller items on astromart, eyepieces, barlows, focusers with no problem.
i now have two scopes listed for sale.
a 12.5 dob, the other 11" celestron.
i can not tell you how many offers have been made on both scopes and either these people seem to vanish after 1 e-mail, take hours to respond, or simply back out with crazy stories the next day after they swear to you its a deal.
people are making offers and then after e-mailing back and fourth for hours, they now need some time to come up with the money, or suddenly have health issues and the scope is too heavy.
where do you draw the line and should these people be rated somehow??
i myself have made offers and asked questions, but if i am not interested i always follow up with another e-mail like:
thanks not interested, or sorry too much for me, but good luck on the sale.
Posted 05/20/2008 05:10PM #1
Herb has made it clear that feedback ratings are only to be left after a completed transaction has taken place. If someone leaves feedback for reasons like you have mentioned here, the recipient of that negative feedback has the right to lodge a complaint with Herb who will likely take some punitive action toward the offender.

People disappearing after you thought a deal had been reached just happens from time to time. I prefer they just come forward and let me know they have changed their mind for whatever reason rather than just letting it hang, but people behave differently. It's just one of those little irritations in life we all have to learn to live with. Astromart is still one of the best places on the internet for these types of dealings and we just have to be willing to take the bad with the good.

Maybe we can get Herb to start a forum called "Astromarters I'd like to complain about" >sad

DanL
Posted 05/20/2008 07:51PM #2
The rating is for those occasions when money changes hands, and that's the way it should be.

Look at it this way. When you run a newspaper ad you get all kinds of crazy calls that waste your time. This is no different.

Your only alternative is to sell to people you know.

No wait, there's another alternative. You can place stuff at auction. Anyone who does not pay gets booted from the 'mart.
You will still need to answer questions.

regards
Greg N

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin