New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Am I way off base?

Started by Wangler, 02/17/2006 01:10PM
Posted 02/17/2006 01:10PM Opening Post
I have a question everyone, and here is the scenario:

You are the seller and I respond to your ad with the following e-mail:

"I would like to purchase this item. Will you accept paypal?

What would shipping be to the 99352 area code?

Thanks!"

What does this mean to my fellow Astromarters? Does this imply a sale? Too vague? Or is there still more work to do?

Thanks for your opinions!

[COLOR="Navy"]“Heaven wheels above you, displaying to you her eternal glories, and still your eyes are on the ground” --Dante[/COLOR]
Posted 02/17/2006 01:13PM #1
Another thing to consider:

As the seller, you have received a number of responses for the ad.............

[COLOR="Navy"]“Heaven wheels above you, displaying to you her eternal glories, and still your eyes are on the ground” --Dante[/COLOR]
Posted 02/17/2006 02:16PM #2
Thank you both for your opinions. I do think that it is important to get confirmation that the item is "yours" from the seller.

As a buyer, I have been too spoiled by sellers who respond to an e-mail like that in my original post with: "Alright, I've marked it pending, the shipping will be $xxx.xx".

As a seller, if someone says they want to purchase, I will take that as a yes. If they back out for some reason, I usually am not that concerned. About 30 seconds, and I can post or modify my ad, if needed.

I guess that it is all about how you want to do business, and if you want an item, no matter how the seller responds, be very, very unequivecal in your responses:

"I have a Benjamin in my pocket with your name on it...please, please tell me where to send my money." or something like that.

Keith

Posted 02/17/2006 02:24PM | Edited 02/17/2006 02:27PM #3
Great question!

Everyone will have an opinion on this. I can tell you I have an email folder of people who have sent an explicit "Ill take it!" only to never respond to my multiple inquiries for payment or change their mind some time later. Since 6/2001, guess how many of these I have received? 86 unique.

I keep these around just to remind me of someone who is not so good at business transactions. But, many of these same people have since bought or sold items to me with no problem. You never know what the issue may be. Personal issues, email issues, spouse, whatever.

Recently, when someone sends me an email like what you describe, I sent an email stating that the shipping is ____ and I will hold the item for ____(usually 2) days in order for them to confirm payment. If not, I move on. I have received 12 nasty emails telling me I sold the item without their permission after they said they wanted it. This is AFTER they never responded to my time committment email.

Long and short...I think the item is not sold until the seller sends you the shipping info, paypal info, and you agree to it. Hopefully they give some time to get this done. If not, your email has qualifiers and is not agreed upon.

It's funny, most of the time I just brush it off and think "How does Herb do it?" But, in reviewing all astromart replies, it appears I have about 1800 friendly smile replies and just 86 "other"

Best of all, you can relist....FREE!

Alec Hitchman said:

I have a question everyone, and here is the scenario:

You are the seller and I respond to your ad with the following e-mail:

"I would like to purchase this item. Will you accept paypal?

What would shipping be to the 99352 area code?

Thanks!"

What does this mean to my fellow Astromarters? Does this imply a sale? Too vague? Or is there still more work to do?

Thanks for your opinions!