Great Horned Owl

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Borrowing Product Shots From Other Astromarters

Started by SocalDarkSkies, 07/16/2006 08:37PM
Posted 07/16/2006 08:37PM | Edited 07/17/2006 06:50AM Opening Post
Tonight I was surprised to see a shot I took of a brand spanking new Meade UHTC diagonal being used by another Astromarter to describe his used "Mint" diagonal. In his ad (#441106) he states that his is just like the one in my photo except his is for a SCT.

I suppose the old adage that imitation is one of the highest forms of flattery can applied here but would it have been more appropriate of him to ask before using the image? And perhaps more importantly -- is his “Mint” diagonal really well represented by my never used and brand new one?

Clear skies all,

Jerry

Dave deleted the original ad and created a new one this morning. The new ad number is #441207.
Posted 07/17/2006 06:34AM #1
>>>.Tonight I was surprised to see a shot I took of a brand spanking new Meade UHTC diagonal being used by another Astromarter to describe his used "Mint" diagonal. In his ad (#441106) he states that his is just like the one in my photo except his is for a SCT.
-----

Jerry:

Interesting question... I have never thought about it from the point of view of the original photographer...

It does seem questionable on a number of counts. MY guess is that the issue of ownership is ethical rather than legal because Astromart probably owns it.. Still, ethics is more important among gentlemen/gentlewomen than legality...

Second, why include a photo if it is not of the actual item? Not sure the logic there, especially when it not of the exact same thing... I guess people think a picture helps sell.

Maybe the appropriate thing to do when posting a photo that is not of the actual item is to edit the photo to include bold text stating "NOT ACTUAL ITEM."

Jon