ROSETTE

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

History of Astromart

Started by sargegb, 02/13/2007 10:49AM
Posted 02/13/2007 10:49AM | Edited 02/13/2007 10:51AM Opening Post
Was wondering when Astromart first went live? I have been a member of varying degrees since 2001 when a fellow I was talking scopes with suggested I visit. How many members came onboard that first year? And who other than ownership has been registered the longest? Just curious ...
Posted 02/13/2007 11:06AM #1
I think that I have been hanging out at Astromart since around 1997 or so, back when Robert Fields owned it. This was when it was ads only, with no forums. I could be off by a year or so, but it was pre-2000 for sure.

Doug
Midway, FL
Posted 02/13/2007 11:11AM #2
Hi Gary,
Astromart existed before 2001. I recall making some puchases and selling some items around 1997 and the website existed before then. It looked similar to what astronomy-mall website looks like now and was owned by a gentleman named Robert Fields. In 2000 ATWB purchased Astromart. The rest is history (no pun intended).

I became a member as soon as that became a requirement.

Regards,

Pernel
Posted 02/15/2007 10:17AM #3
I, like many here, was around BH. grin I joined somewhere around 95 or 96. (year.... NOT age!!! 8O )

Interestingly, the only time I have had a problem buying anything on A'Mart was before Herb took it over. Some guy from Canada sold be a 4" refractor lens, charged me US$50 to ship it to Oz, including insurance. Then sent it over in a simple cardboard box with no packing and no insurance, at a cost to him of C$9.54.

The cost to me was a busted lens that he refused to refund on. >sad

Never had a problem since Herb took over.

Thanks for a great site Herb.

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.