Comet Neowise setting over Mt. Princeton, July 18

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

How do I 'shrink' pictures to upload

Started by danmcc, 09/16/2007 07:30PM
Posted 09/16/2007 07:30PM Opening Post
I get an error message telling me my picture is too large. Someone told me to email the pictures to myself and that would shrink them, but it didn't work.

I take pics with a digital camera and they are jpg files.

Please help.

Thanks,

Dan McConaughy
Posted 09/16/2007 08:18PM #1
Dan McConaughy said:

I get an error message telling me my picture is too large. Someone told me to email the pictures to myself and that would shrink them, but it didn't work.

I take pics with a digital camera and they are jpg files.

Please help.

Thanks,

Dan McConaughy

Dan,

Microsoft has a utility on their Powertoy site called image resizer that will let you resize your pictures for emailing and uploading. After it is installed, all you have to do is right click on your image and select the resize option. It's a small file to download, so it won't take long. Here is the link.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Rex

Oklahoma State University--The University of Oklahoma!--GO POKES!! GO STATE!!
Posted 09/17/2007 05:23AM #2
You could also check out Irfanview. It is freeware that can resize photos. It does a lot more than that, too. Google irfanview.

Steve
Posted 09/17/2007 07:01AM #3
If I have a JPG, the simplest way is to use Microsoft Photo Editor (it comes free with Windows).

Simply open the image in the program, click on Image/Resize/ and specify you want it about 960 pixels across (for this forum).

Then save-as under a different name (or not--but you usually don't want to resize and lose your original information.)

If you are using a different photo editor (like Photoshop, or elements, or whatever, there is a function that does the same thing (under "Image" probably) and in some (as Photoshop) as "File/Save for web.")

To start Microsoft Photo Editor, all you need to do is go to Windows Explorer and click on the name of the photo you wish to edit. (That is, unless you have associated the file with another image editing program, in which case it will start instead----but it undoubtedly has the "resize" function built into it somewhere.)

Alex