My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posting Picture

Started by Alex McConahay, 09/04/2007 08:24PM
Posted 09/04/2007 08:24PM Opening Post
Hi all,

There have been many times I have advertized something or another in the Classifieds here that somebody has responded-"-Do you have a picture of it?"

I can see their interest in some cases. But I mean don't we all pretty much know what these things look like? If I advertize a "Standard Losmandy Tripod for a G-11," should not one expect it to look pretty much like all the other standard Losmandy Tripods for G-11? Or an LX200 Classic 8 incher--DOn't they all look pretty much the same (or at least their photos do!).

I suppose I am also saying that it is hard to get a good picture of a setscrew mark, or a chip of paint off a tube, or even a clean picture (without glare) of the optics. So, how much could a picture tell somebody?

Or am I missing something?

If you have asked for a picture as a follow-up, could I ask why?

Please educate me.

Alex

Posted 09/04/2007 08:46PM #1
Alex,

If one posts a picture that is obviously not "boiler plate" taken from some ad, it would indicate that the party actually has the item in question.

Possibly a throwback to dealing with the other less creditable auction/for sale sites?
Posted 09/04/2007 09:07PM | Edited 09/04/2007 09:13PM #2
Alex McConahay said:
...So, how much could a picture tell somebody? Or am I missing something?

Alex,

I am one of those people who likes to see at least one good photo of something I'm considering buying. I don't mean a stock photo from a web site but a photo of the actual item for sale. Here are some reasons.

1. I've run across a few ads where the item is sometimes accidentally misrepresented. In other words, the description and the photo do not match. This has usually been the result of the seller not being very knowedgeable about the item or its variations.

2. Some people place ads with maybe half a line of descriptive information, so a photo can make up the difference. Example: Seller places an ad for a 2" Televue diagonal. A couple photos can tell me if it's an Everbrite or not, and if it's the compression ring type or not. These facts make a big difference in value.

3. Some people's idea of "Excellent Condition" does not match mine. A photo can tell a lot more about condition than words. Items that appear to be filthy usually don't get a second look.

4. If an item has "defects", photos give me a better idea as to whether or not I can live with those defects.

5. A photo helps clarify what is included in a sale which might have many components.

6. The inclusion of photos and the quality of those photos tells me a lot about the seller. One poor quality, out of focus photo earns minus points. Several clear sharp photos, maybe with a closeup or two, earns positive points. I use this information to determine if I really want to do business with this person.

In addition to wanting to see photos of stuff I am looking to buy, I take the time to include as many good photos as practical of stuff I'm selling, which has had a positive effect on my sales. Usually the response from the buyer is "I want it. Where do I send the money?", rather than asking a bunch of questions. I also get very few low offers.

Try including some good photos in your ads and see if they don't make stuff sell faster and easier.

Posted 09/04/2007 10:07PM #3
Alex,

I made the mistake of not asking for a photo of a 27 Pan for sale by an established, long time Amart member in good standing. Ad said something like 'great shape,' in all fairness I can't quite recall the exact words used now; it was my first (now deleted) Amart purchase. Having a photographic/darkroom background I'm quite aware what constitutes 'clean.' This ep had extensive wear on the barrel as if it had been through a compression fitting about 1000 times or so, and the glass looked as if it had lived in a haystack. I cleaned it up and it functions fine, and valuable lesson was revisited: your idea of clean/great may not be mine.
Posted 09/04/2007 10:19PM #4
It may be trite but true
"A(GOOD)picture is worth a thousand words!" wink

Please visit my Observatory Construction pics at: http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
And check out this place too!
http://www.observatorycentral.com/

http://cleardarksky.com/c/PtnGrdObAZkey.html

Posted 09/05/2007 04:14PM #5
Its true what everyone says...posting a picture makes the ad MUCH more marketable...I generally get twice the hits from an ad with a pic than w/o. The only time I buy an item w/o a pic is when it comes from a longtime AMer that Ive had a few transactions with.