NEOWISE With Airplane 7/17/20

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Responding to Classifieds

Started by cgsathome, 06/07/2007 07:33AM
Posted 06/07/2007 07:33AM Opening Post
Hopefully this isn't covered somewhere else, because I couldn't find it.

How does one normally respond to a classified listing? For example, there is a new listing today that says "First PayPal gets it". I assume you don't really send a seller a payment without contacting the seller to ensure that someone else didn't already purchase the item. On the other hand I responded to another ad (using the response button) sxpressing interest in an item and never heard anything.

Sorry for the beginner type questions, hopefully it is appropriate for an FAQ forum.
Posted 06/07/2007 07:49AM | Edited 06/07/2007 07:49AM #1
Hello Craig!

Something along the lines of:

"If it is still available, I'LL TAKE IT" should get the seller's attention, unless he has already sold it...

I have always used the respond button, and never had any issues...

Clear skies! 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 06/07/2007 10:20AM | Edited 06/07/2007 10:22AM #2
Craig
I believe what the seller was saying is that his preferred method of recieving payment is Paypal and the first person to respond with a "I'll take and can pay with Paypal" would get it over someone saying "I'll take it, and can send a Money Order (check, etc)".

For some, the ad may be posted one day and responses reviewed the next day. If an item is in demand or the price very good, there can be an overwelming number of responses to get back to. I normally try to respond to each one anyway, but for some, getting back to the successful buyer and then marking the ad as SOLD is good.

If you really want an item that normally moves well and it is priced right, asking a few questions, although certainly appropriate, will not lock you in over someone after you saying "I'll take it". If you have a concern or two, these can be included as qualifiers in your response. For example, if a refractor OTA is offered, but you are concerned about collimation and backlash in the focuser, you can respond with "if the collimation is good and the focuser has little or no backlash, I'll take it". Slower moving items allow for more questions and corospondednce. Bottom line though, you need to make sure, to a reasonable degree, that the item will meet your needs/wants before buying.

A little wordy, but I hope this helps.
Steven Jindra
Posted 06/07/2007 02:24PM #3
Thanks for the pointers. I think it works like I would have imagined, but I want to be sure I am ready when that can't miss deal comes along!