My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Selling to member with no rating?

Started by mengelhart, 07/28/2007 05:38AM
Posted 07/28/2007 05:38AM Opening Post
Hello everyone -

Just a quick question about Astromart etiquette with regards to ratings. I'm selling a scope currently that I'm asking $700. I received several inquiries and as I always do if the buyer is interested I check their ratings. I recently received an offer from someone in Europe that wanted to buy it (although they kept emailing me saying my price was too high which I found annoying). Anyway the buyer had no ratings. I politely said I'm sorry but I really can't risk selling something this expensive (to me anyway - I'm sure others may not think this is a huge amount of money) to an Astromarter with no ratings. Since then he's been emailing me over and over saying well why are you singling out Europeans, blah blah blah. I explained that I'd be hesitant to sell it to someone in the US with no rating and a hotmail email address as well.

So my question is, is this acceptable to reject offers if the user doesn't have a rating. My personal feeling is that the whole point of ratings is to build up trust and believe me if i was selling a $25 plossl I wouldn't blink an eye at selling it to someone in another country with no ratings but that's not the case in this ad.

Thanks for any advice. I do feel bad about not letting someone who is genuinely interested in getting a telescope and maybe their first one at that but I just can't afford to lose $700 if the transaction were to go south.

Clear skies
Mike
Posted 07/28/2007 06:25AM | Edited 07/28/2007 06:37AM #1
Mike,

How are people going to get rated if people view the way you do. Ultimately it is your equipment your sale but there has to be a starting point for all new Astromarters that are just starting to deal in the classifieds. True there are warning signs (I thought Hotmail accounts were illegal on Astromart) with this interested party in Europe and the ultimate risk is yours. My first dealings on Astromart was with a highly rated member whom ended up selling me a an item that was poorly packed and ended up damaged when I received it. It is not the first time this highly rated Astromarter has sold defective products. So you can see it works both ways.

Hans
Posted 07/28/2007 08:59AM #2
I too would make sure I have the money in hand (accept only paypal?), buyer pays the additional shipping, and shipment is insured at buyer's expense. Buyer must accept all responsibility for damage during shipment in other words. Also, dated pictures showing the scope in good condition prior to shipment would be smart.
Posted 07/28/2007 09:24AM #3
Thanks for responses everyone. I have in fact sold internationally a few times once here and a few times on Ebay but always to highly rated people. I understand it's not the be all/end all but it certainly makes it much harder for just any old joe with a hotmail account to register and offer to buy $700 items. I just felt that the persistence on the buyers part was very strange. If I had been in a position where there hesitation on the part of the seller I'd just leave them alone. It's not like C8's show up only once a year on Astromart. There are probably 10 for sale right now.

The buyer also wanted me to go and find him a US seller of the actual Nexstar SE mount which I clearly stated I had sold months ago. He wanted me to ask around at different US telescope dealers and find one that would ship to him. He's still emailing me even though I apologized for my hesitation and clearly stated that I didn't want to sell it. Then he suggested I register for a European escrow service so both of us could be protected. To me that's far more trouble then it's worth.

Anyway - thanks for the insight - I don't feel AS crummy for not wanting to do the deal. :S

Clear skies
Mike
Posted 07/29/2007 12:13PM #4
Mike Engelhart said:
So my question is, is this acceptable to reject offers if the user doesn't have a rating. My personal feeling is that the whole point of ratings is to build up trust and believe me if i was selling a $25 plossl I wouldn't blink an eye at selling it to someone in another country with no ratings but that's not the case in this ad.

Mike,

Just my opinion, but I think you should be able to conduct your sale as you see fit, so long as you act ethically and within the rules set forth on Astromart. If I didn't feel comfortable about selling to a particular individual, I wouldn't feel bad about not selling to them. If they don't like it--tough.

I get a little frustrated at times when a seller will only accept Paypal, or will only sell locally but that is their prerogative and I accept it. As for establishing ratings, I did as Alex suggested. I made a few small purchases on astromart and moved on from there.

Rex Cox

Oklahoma State University--The University of Oklahoma!--GO POKES!! GO STATE!!
Posted 08/02/2007 12:05PM #5
Most everyone's email service has a "block sender" function. Nuff said.
Posted 08/08/2007 06:15AM #6
>>>So my question is, is this acceptable to reject offers if the user doesn't have a rating. My personal feeling is that the whole point of ratings is to build up trust and believe me if i was selling a $25 plossl I wouldn't blink an eye at selling it to someone in another country with no ratings but that's not the case in this ad.
-----

In my view you can reject any offer you want to. If you are not comfortable with a deal or the person or what, you are free to reject the offer.

When I buy or sell something, I want to feel good about the deal and that the other party is also happy with the deal. I want to think I am making a deal with a friend.

If someone is rude or pushy, it's a red flag, a deal breaker, not that I am concerned about getting paid. Rather, this is a hobby and I just don't need to deal with people who are other than friendly and helpful.

The Astromarter in question, if he want's to buy something, he needs to clean up his act and realize that this is that auction site, this is a site where people behave in a civilized manner.

Of course, while I would never deal with a potential buyer who complained about the price and harrassed me, everyone I have ever met on Astromart has been of the hightest standards.

Yeah, in my view, there is nothing that forces you to do anything other than sell to the party of your choice.

Jon