What does "Minty" mean?

Started by mcvman, 10/18/2008 10:19PM
Posted 10/18/2008 10:19PM Opening Post
I've noticed the term "minty" used more and more lately, in classified ads, to describe a for-sale item's condition. At this time, is there any clear consensus among Astromarters of how this would translate into real english? If so, what is that translation??? My instincts tell me to watch out for the term because I am imagining it to just be a way of trying to over-hype the item. But, if I am wrong, I want to know.

Just wondering,
Dave K.
Posted 10/18/2008 10:58PM | Edited 10/18/2008 10:59PM #1
Typically mint condition refers to coins that are in "mint condition" meaning they have not been abraded, touched, or marred in any way.

The term "minty" has implied meaning but to me is an obscure term that can be misused since it may not be a universally accepted descriptor. Other terms are LNIB BNIB NSG RB (like new in box, bought new in box, not so good, and really bad). The last two I just made up similar to the term Minty.

Perhaps if you are really interested, it would be wise to ask about the real condition of the item.

Jud

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 10/19/2008 01:19AM #2
Its a vague marketing (and imho annoying) condition description meaning like-new. I prefer calling it like it is.

8" f/12 D&G classic refractor
Astro-Physics 1200 DA equatorial mount
BlueStar Observatory (roll off) by Backyard Observatories of Lodi, Ohio
Previous telescopes A-Z...Astro-Physics to Zeiss
Posted 10/19/2008 02:55PM | Edited 10/19/2008 03:04PM #3
I take it to mean "close to mint", but the seller is just not really wanting to go that far. It's more like "almost mint depending on who's looking or grading", the seller, the buyer, on an independant third party. In other words mint if you don't count all the not mentioned defects or detractions that might not matter so much to the seller or someone not taking a very close look at the item in good light.

So is to be taken as a word of caution to the wise to be sure to inquire of the exact condition. Ask specifics and be sure the seller actually answers your questions. And keep a copy of same.

But I never take it to mean mint, brand new condition maybe not still factory sealed but certainly no more than just a cursory examination or quick once over to see what's in there, or BNIB (BRAND NEW in box, should mean just that, with no defects whatsoever, except there too, who's to say it didn't possibly have a defect right from the factory and the seller just never took the time or trouble to have it corrected under warranty or otherwise and now is just passsing it on), or even LNIB (like new in box, even that leaves room for "almost"). I think sometimes it's the seller leaving himself an "out" after the item is received and the buyer finds something that wasn't quite fully disclosed if not specifically inquired about.

So generally i'll just ignore those ads unless it's something I really really need or want and it's rare to come up for sale. Most of this stuff while maybe not "a dime a dozen", is not so hard to come by that you can't afford to wait for one that's more accurately described in the first place, rather than having to deal with a description that leaves one to wonder from the get go. Actually I've received a number of items described as mint, LNIB, excellent plus, etc. that I think could only appear that way to a blind person or someone in a very dark room.

So to quote David, yes indeed,
"My instincts tell me to watch out for the term because I am imagining it to just be a way of trying to over-hype the item".

And I do wish the sellers would just plain stop using the term. Either it's "MINT"... or it's not.
There's no such thing as "minty". Unless you're talking about the flavor.
Posted 10/19/2008 10:15PM #4
David Kernberger said:

I've noticed the term "minty" used more and more lately, in classified ads, to describe a for-sale item's condition. At this time, is there any clear consensus among Astromarters of how this would translate into real english? If so, what is that translation??? My instincts tell me to watch out for the term because I am imagining it to just be a way of trying to over-hype the item. But, if I am wrong, I want to know.

Just wondering,
Dave K.

What is the translation? Same as "semi-apo"... LOL

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 10/20/2008 04:25AM | Edited 11/08/2008 08:33PM #5
I always thought it was a way of saying mint condition but in a slang/cool way. Like: So, what is the condition of that scope? Minty baby 8)

Scopejunkie

40 year old restored C14 with recirculating cooling w/Skywatcher DOB GOTO Conversion (CPC14)

Synscan DOB mounted Sky-Watcher Evostar 150mm/1200mm ED Refractor

"Rescued" Craig's List Orion 120mm/1000mm Refractor

USAF Vet