New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

15 Eerie Abandoned Observatories

Started by dsnope, 07/11/2012 06:34AM
Posted 07/11/2012 06:34AM Opening Post

http://weburbanist.com/2012/07/08/watch-out-10-eerie-abandoned-observatories/
Posted 07/11/2012 01:26PM #1
Interesting, and rather sad. Anyone who plans to build a personal dome should keep in mind that it is likely to become a liability when the property is sold to someone who has no interest in using or maintaining it.

When Dave Kriege, owner of Obsession Telescopes, build his huge 26x27 foot rolloff, he had in the back of his mind that it could eventually be used as a garage.
Posted 07/12/2012 05:47AM #2
Very cool. I've been to exactly one of these: Barcroft.

We visited the White Mtns about 10 years ago. By dumb luck, we were there the one day each year that the Mt Barcroft Reseach Station was open to the public. One of the scientists told me that the plateau above the station was the runner up site for the Keck telescopes. After touring the research station, I hiked up to the plateau to see the two old domes. The older of the two had some old bed frames in it.
Posted 07/12/2012 01:11PM #3
Thanks for the link. That small observatory in "Bellport" has got myself and everyone else in the office intigued. I work in Bellport and about half of the staff have lived here all of their lives. It has them stumped. My co-worker and I believe that it may actually be in the Rocky Point through Middle Island area about 5-10 miles from Bellport. Seems there was an association with the Vanderbilt Planetarium, Grumman, and what we believe is/was the Brookhaven Employee Recreational Association. The website of a cyclist/jogger states that the propert lies within "the Camp". Could this be Camp Upton?
If anyone knows the location of this observatory and it's history we would greatly appreciate hearing from you. An abandoned observatory right in my own back yard... facinating!
Posted 07/14/2012 01:27PM #4
Nice pictures...somewhat dumb captions. wink

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/