8" f4.5 Cave

Started by suprdav, 07/12/2011 03:11PM
Posted 07/12/2011 03:11PM Opening Post
I just finished restoring this 1975 vintage 8" f4.5 refector on a student mount. It was a bit of a basket case when I acquired it, but after about 50 hours labor it came out pretty nice. Brought back old memories of my first scope which I bought from Tom Cave in 1974. Mostly everything is original, restored almost as new, including focuser, finder, mount and even the clock drive works perfectly. The mirror and diagonal were in excellent condition. We took it out a couple of nights ago as soon as the paint dried. No disappointments at all. Just stunning views even under the light pollution here in Long Beach. Since I have several other scopes, I'll probably play with it for a little while and post it on Astromart for sale.

Attached Image:

suprdav's attachment for post 53742
Posted 07/12/2011 03:12PM #1
Here's another image.

Attached Image:

suprdav's attachment for post 141329
Posted 07/12/2011 06:45PM #2
Beautiful, nice restoration David! smile

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 07/12/2011 09:55PM #3
Dave,
Wowzers, man! Pretty 'scope! I wanna be first in line to buy it if you offer it up for sale. Need anything in partial trade? I've a bunch of stuff.
I wish I had the bucks (or a corporate sponsor) to put together a telescope museum that displays older equipment, and uses it all in a public setting. That has always been a dream of mine. I don't know why, but I just love old telescopes. Especially ones that are refurbished and look really good.
I live in Tucson, Arizona, and to this end, I am considering putting forth this concept idea to our local "Pima Air and Space Museum" [Google it]which deals mostly in planes of all kinds. They have a small space annex as well but it needs way more then what they present.
Nice job!!!
One atta-boy certificate!
Starman 1000