My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Early 1900's Warner and Swasey Mount

Started by mboessen, 05/29/2010 03:46PM
Posted 05/29/2010 03:46PM | Edited 05/29/2010 04:05PM Opening Post
Hello, All:
About 18 years ago our astronomy club (Central Missouri Amateur Astronomers) fell heir to an early 1900's Warner and Swasey pier and mount with a second generation locally manufactured 8" refractor on it. The instrument had to be moved quickly due to an approaching wrecking ball. A small building was hastily constructed and the instrument moved. In the process it was dismantled. Many pieces are apparently missing. I am currently attempting to undertake a restoration of this instrument. With the help of some club members, I have dismantled it, moved it to my workshop and reassembled it. Google has proved totally useless in finding useable photographs of the mount mechanics or any kind of instructions/engineering diagrams. Does anyone have any idea where I might obtain photos/literature to assist me in this effort? I have figured out how the DEC controls mount and work, and have what parts I have installed. I believe it was possible to operate the RA lock from the eyepiece in similar fashion to the dec controls but I can't imagine how. I have several more control rod pieces, but their function/application is not apparent. I have attempted to attach a few photographs, including a similar instrument currently locaated at Case Western University. Any help would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks!! Mike Boessen 1002 County Road 299, Columbia, MO 65202 mboessen@ktis.net

Attached Image:

mboessen's attachment for post 51093
Posted 05/29/2010 04:08PM #1
Didn't realize I could only attach one photo. I have changed the photo to a picture of the instrument I am attempting to restore. Thanks!!