Is this an Antique?

Started by fblue, 03/08/2010 02:13AM
Posted 03/08/2010 02:13AM | Edited 03/08/2010 02:16AM Opening Post
Well, today I picked up a 1964-1966 Unitron 4" EQ Model 152. The OTA looks like new, the mount looks like new and the objective star test looks great. I got the Unihex, a full set of EPs, the Sun viewer, tripod with folding legs (really nice, stows much shorter) finder, threaded counter weight. Wooden case for the scope and the EPs, but a Pelican case for the mount.
The scope is very original, with only a small mod to the lens cell, set screws were added to keep it collimated, the spring loaded cell tended to lose collimation.
I will try to get a photo of it as soon as possible.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 03/08/2010 02:22AM #1
Floyd Blue said:

Well, today I picked up a 1964-1966 Unitron 4" EQ Model 152. The OTA looks like new, the mount looks like new and the objective star test looks great. I got the Unihex, a full set of EPs, the Sun viewer, tripod with folding legs (really nice, stows much shorter) finder, threaded counter weight. Wooden case for the scope and the EPs, but a Pelican case for the mount.
The scope is very original, with only a small mod to the lens cell, set screws were added to keep it collimated, the spring loaded cell tended to lose collimation.

Floyd:

It sounds like you scored... But be careful about bragging... Not about the scope, I am sure everyone is happy for you. Rather, the mere mention of "star test" suggests there are stars to be seen, such a suggestion could cause mass depression... 8)

Jon
Posted 03/08/2010 03:11AM #2
That sound's great Floyd, can't wait to see some pic's of it. I love these old scope's. Please be sure to show the upgrade to the lens cell, sound's interesting.

Congrat's
Darrell
Posted 03/11/2010 12:39PM #3
Floyd Blue said:

If you want it to be it is. There is no hard and fast definition of "antique," with that varying from 50 to 100 years age-wise. Your telescope most assuredly is "collectible"!

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/