NGC6946

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Best 7x50 Binoculars for Astronomy?

Started by Glenn N. Smith, 04/09/2002 05:22PM
Posted 04/09/2002 05:22PM Opening Post
What are the best 7x50 binoculars for astronomy?
Posted 04/10/2002 02:05PM #1
Try Todd Gross's site (see AM sponsors). He reviewed about 50 or 60 (all sizes). Also Cloudy Nites has some...

Good luck.

Tom Mengel
Moderator Equipment Talk

“Insanity: Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results”.
Albert Einstein
Posted 04/14/2002 07:17PM #2
Glenn:

Why 7x50's? Are you approaching 40?

Steve
Posted 07/02/2002 08:52PM #3
Hi Glenn,

Thought this may have been your thread.

As you know I have the Fujinon FMT-SX2 7x50s. Most of my comparisons have been done during the day in stores so I cannot vouch for nightime performance.

Of the binocs I have looked through I would say the best in low power were;

*Zeiss 7x42 BGA-T Classic (Roof)
*Swarovski 8.5x42EL (Roof)

The ELs had the best colour correction I have ever seen (including the Canon IS 15x50). Could not detect any colour on the most difficult targets. Only a slight violet tinge on a sunlit chrome street light fitting and it was very faint ghost of colour.

I have not looked throught any Nikon SEs or Prostars, Astroluxe or Venturer roofs. I have been told the Swarovski ELs outsell the Nikon Venturers like 10-1. No one stocks high grade Nikons in Sydney. Yet there are several stores that carry high-end Zeiss and Leica and a few for Swarovski.

The Zeiss 7x50 BGA-T porros were not in the same league as th Fujis and I think you would find the same. I will have a look through some Nikon Prostars 7x50 in the next few weeks and let you know what I think of them.

If your pupils don't go out to 7mm you might consider a smaller exit pupil binoc. One thing I can say is I used my Fujis at a dark sky sight the other night and I could see farm animals clearly under star light but not with the naked eye. The amount of night time detail was amazing.
BTW I think I have approximately 6mm pupil dilation.

Craig.