Best Binoculars that I have ever looked through

Started by jlink, 08/30/2010 07:01PM
Posted 08/30/2010 07:01PM Opening Post
Zhumell 25x100 binoculars have brought in better views some pretty nice scopes. I'm thrilled with these. I can't believe I'm looking at the rings of Saturn and it's moons with Binoculars. Looking out at Lake Erie from my 12th floor has never been such a joy, and yeah there are some lights, moving objects that I cannot account for. Very cool. Optics are unbelievably clear and stay in focus long after I have found the "sweet" spot. If anyone has something else for me to look into I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Posted 09/01/2010 04:28AM | Edited 09/01/2010 04:31AM #1
John,
Congrats on the mutha binocular! I observe mainly with binoculars myself. My biggest is a paltry 16x70, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of looking at double stars and Messier objects with binoculars all the way down to 6x30.

If you are new to skywatching, there's a megabuck industry out there conveniently poised to assist you. Honestly though, the sky is peppered rather thickly with things that are fun to find and look at, and although often rather subtle at the eyepiece, staggering to the mind once you start to study up a bit and realize the physical reality of what you are looking at. There are many "open" star clusters that will look very impressive through your large instrument. And if you could get out into the country and look overhead at first dark now and for a few weeks, you'll see the Summer Milky Way, which is so jammed with stuff you hardly need a chart, or know what you're looking at, to have fun.

For some instant info, poke around on one of my favorite astro websites, but there are many more: http://www.dibonsmith.com/constel.htm

For real nuts and bolts observing, nothing beats a book of star charts with interesting galaxies, nebulae, and clusters marked on it. A good first one is the Cambridge Star Atlas. Darn near any object suitable for a telescope is fair game for 25x100.

If you are already a hard case of an astrobuff already, and I have mistaken you for a beginner, I am sorry, but please don't take it the wrong way. Your joy is so infectious, is all! Happy observing,
Ron
Posted 09/04/2010 08:40AM #2
I just bought a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binoculars. I held my breath when ordering them for other astronomy forum posts complained of uncollimated optics (I ignored these warnings because the Skymasters have great eye relief). I even paid an extra twenty dollars to get them in time for a weekend star party. So for $92.00 I got a decent pair of well collimated and ergonomically pleasing binoculars. I just hope they are rugged enough to last me for many years. I am considering getting a better case than the one provided by Celestron. I want these things to last I love them a lot!

Oh, yes, I glanced through a pair of 100 mm binoculars this summer at a local club star party. There was no tripod for them so I handheld them when observing the Double cluster in Perseus. It wasn't easy but the view was indescribably gorgeous. Eventually I hope to get a pair of these really big ones.