My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Canon 15x50 is battery usage

Started by jterry94, 05/31/2006 11:38AM
Posted 05/31/2006 11:38AM Opening Post
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Canon 15 x 50 is binocular. It appears to drain the battery when not in use.
I put in fresh lithium batteries, use if for an hour, and come back the next day to find the batteries drained.

This is a bit of an annoyance. I shut off the IS and it has a 5 minute shut-off feature anyway so I don't know
what could be draining the batteries overnight.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted 05/31/2006 01:29PM #1
No, never heard of that one.
Posted 05/31/2006 01:40PM #2
Have you verified that the IS feature does actually shut itself off?

Clear skies, Alan
Posted 06/07/2006 02:27PM | Edited 06/07/2006 02:29PM #3
Jeff Terry said:

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Canon 15 x 50 is binocular. It appears to drain the battery when not in use.
I put in fresh lithium batteries, use if for an hour, and come back the next day to find the batteries drained.

This is a bit of an annoyance. I shut off the IS and it has a 5 minute shut-off feature anyway so I don't know
what could be draining the batteries overnight.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
My apologies for taking so long to respond. I had to find a Canon 15x50IS to check, etc.
If you have not already sent them back, do so. I can confirm that the pair I tested have no battery drain when switched off either manually or through the automatic shutoff. The electronic meter I attached to check current drain actually draws more power to take a reading than the Binoculars themselves in the "Off" mode.
You definitely have some kind of issue with either the Binoculars or a bad battery pack. Either way, since they're new, you shouldn't have a problem getting the issue resolved.
Clear Skies, Bill