Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Canon IS 15x50 versus 18x50

Started by AlanFrench, 10/24/2006 08:54PM
Posted 10/24/2006 08:54PM Opening Post
Canon is also once again offering $100 rebates on the larger IS binoculars. The question is: which would be better, the 15x50 or the 18x50 version?

Anyone have experience with either version? We have a slight lean toward the 18x50 due to its smaller exit pupil and our astigmatism.

Clear skies, Alan & Sue
Posted 10/25/2006 03:05AM | Edited 10/25/2006 03:06AM #1
Hi Alan,

I've used both. I used the 18x belonging to someone else at one time and it seemed difficult to find targets with it and the IS was strectched a bit much for the magnification. The Moon was very nice but sweeping the Milky Way wasn't enjoyable.

I bought the 15x50 and it is a very different impression, very sharp, shows the North American and Veil Nebs very nicely, does great on the star clouds in Sagittarius, etc and is a great all around bino. All the help the IS needs even for perfect views of the Moon and close doubles is to sit in a camping chair. Generic deep sky sweeping is fantastic even standing (how I used them in New Zealand for the Magellanic Clouds and Southern Milky Way). I'd strongly recommend trying the 15x50s and only getting the 18s if the 15s don't work with your eyes. For batteries I tried the rechargables for a while and found they self discharge too quickly in between uses. I'm using Energizer lithium AAs now and they are by far the best power source for these out there.

I wonder if it might be possible to adapt Dioptrix lenses from TeleVue to the eyecups?

Dave