IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Celestron 11 X 80 Comet Hunters

Started by okieav8r, 10/19/2007 06:07AM
Posted 10/19/2007 06:07AM | Edited 10/19/2007 09:23AM Opening Post
While at Okie-Tex this fall, I had an opportunity to do some observing through a pair of Celestron 11 X 80 Comet Hunter binoculars. The view through these binoculars was gorgeous. I don't know if I have ever used a pair of binoculars that had such sharpness over the entire field of view. The gentleman who had them said that they were sold by Celestron quite a few years ago and that they are no longer available new.

Is that kind of quality fairly consistent in that line of binoculars? About how much would a used pair in good condition go for? Does anyone else make a pair of binoculars that have the same kind of quality, but reasonably priced--something in the $200-$300 range?

Oklahoma State University--The University of Oklahoma!--GO POKES!! GO STATE!!
Posted 10/21/2007 11:22PM #1
Hi Rex,

I have a pair of Celestron 11 x 80's. I think mine are from around 1990, while the "Comet Hunters" were from the early to mid 1980's. I could be off by a decade or more on those estimates.

11x80's offered wide views. As far as I can tell, no one is making them anymore. There are 10.5x70's, 15x70's, 20x80, and a lot of other permutations. However, I like the 11x80. The 10 and 11 powers are at the limit for hand-holding. 15 and 20 powers need a mount.

In order to find 11x80 you would have to buy used. They show up here on Astromart and over on "that big auction site." But, a warning: I've owned or looked through at least 5 11x80s and more than a dozen other large binoculars. I would say at least 1/3 had some problem. This is especially an issue with older, vintage binoculars. If you can look through some in person before buying, that is a big plus. I went through several pairs before deciding what to keep.

Your other option is to buy new. If you search Anacortes for binoculars, then click on the Astronomy ones there are a bunch. The ones in this size range are all currently made in China. I would recommend Oberwerk, Garret Optical, and Astro-Physics brands for better quality control. Higher prices generally equate with higher quality.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product_list.asp?t=129

The only thing wrong with censorship is [deleted].

Posted 11/09/2007 08:57AM #2
I have a pair of these binocs. They are of average quality, fairly light in weight for their size. Good light grasp on axis, light falloff toward the field edge due to severe internal vignetting. Stars become severely distorted toward the outer 40% of the field. Not in the same league as more premium brands for edge sharpness.

Rolando