Saturn

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Easy dew caps for 15 x 70 binoculars

Started by astrofarmer, 01/31/2003 05:59AM
Posted 01/31/2003 05:59AM Opening Post
Hi everyone. I have found that very simple dew caps can be made from BEE HIVE corn syrup containers, 1 litre size, for the oberwerk 15 x70's probably no doubt for the 11 power also and as well for other brand name chinese binoculars. Simply have a sharp knife and cut them out as long as you want. Then fill the inside with black heavy paper leaving about an inch space inside for the dew cap to go over the objective. I covered the outside with you guessed it duct tape! I'm from Canada and therefore I don't know if this brand and size is available in the USA but it fits perfectly. Regards, and hopefully clear skies, Gary

Attached Image:

astrofarmer's attachment for post 3502
Posted 01/31/2003 06:01AM #1
Posted 01/31/2003 08:05AM #2
Gary,
I recently purchased some used 14x70 Fujinons that were missing the rubber guards around the front objectives. I went to Home Depot and found that the rubber insert from a 3" coupler for sewer pipe fits snugly over the front objectives and provided about a 1.5" dew shield. The rubber is nice because it' pliable, flat black and does not fall off. In addition they only cost $3 each.

Rick