My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Fujinon 10 x 70 FMT-SX2 Question

Started by davidfaatz, 03/21/2003 05:20AM
Posted 03/21/2003 05:20AM Opening Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any information about the new, and I would guess, improved Fujinons. I've gotten the impression that the body has been modified. I wonder if that means the SX2 model is not built to mil spec. I understand that the coatings have been improved.

Can someone compare the SX to the new SX2? Also, when will the 7x50s and 16x70s be available?

Many thanks for your help.

David

Posted 03/21/2003 09:36AM #1
The FMT-SX 2 use same optics as Modell 1. The coatings are improved, the rubbers are a bit softer now. All 3 Modells 4 modells, 7 x 50, 10 x 50, 10 x 70 and 16 x 70 are available already in Germany. I heard they are not offered yet in USA, because Fujininon in USA first want to sell he stock of old modells

Markus

clear skies

Markus Ludes
APM-Telescopes/Germany
Posted 03/21/2003 11:31AM #2
The bodies on the new FMT-SX2's are similar to the old. The lower rubberized objective cell skirts look a little different. The bodies still have a leatherette type skin. The chief difference seems to be in the prism top plate (where the binocular identification information is found). It looks to be a rubberized plastic or composite of some kind, not metal like in the regular FMT-SX (which have been available for at least 11 or 12 years, if not longer. Additionally the trademark yellow highlight pinstripes on the eyepieces are not visible in the promotional photos.

Markus mentioned a 10x50 model, but I have not been able to find anything about that. Does a 10x50 truly exist, or was that a mistake?

Pricing in Europe seems to be approximately 25% higher than the older models.

I have attempted to post a promotional photo of the 16x70 model.

Barry Simon

Attached Image:

Barry Simon's attachment for post 66000