Fujis--worth it?

Started by ggower, 12/12/2006 01:15PM
Posted 12/12/2006 01:15PM Opening Post
Hello to the group!

I am getting ready to make a horse trade with the local scope dealer, and he will owe ME money! My best option is to take my credit out in merchandise. I am thinking of a pair of Fuji 10X70s or 16X70s. Two questions, please:
1. I have an excellent pair of Nikon SE 12X50s. Will the jump up to 70mm (roughly doubling the aperture) be worth it, or should I wait and plan for something larger?
2. I am a middle aged man glued to eyeglasses. Which pair is best for me--the 10X with its too large exit pupil for my aging eyes, or the 16X with its marginal (16mm) eye relief?
If neither of the Fujis is really a plus for me, I could take out my credit in a sack of NIB Radians (which I could sell on AM!).

What do you think? Are the Fujis worth it for me?

Gordon G
Tucson, AZ
Posted 12/12/2006 03:22PM #1
The 10x70 Fujinon would give you the needed eye relief, but as you guessed, may be just too wide an exit pupil for your eyes. Check your eyes and your skies. I find this particular binocular is best for someone with pupils over 6mm and skies darker than mag6. If your eye pupils never get larger than 5mm, then that 10x70 will never be more than a 10x50 for you.

The 16x70 Fujinon has an effective usable eye relief of only about 10mm. I wear eye glasses with them. While I would not trade them, I do see only about 90% of the fov. But the view is one of the best.

The 12x50 Nikon SE performs like a slightly larger binocular. So the 10x70 isn't going to do a lot more for you unless you have very large eye pupils AND you get out to very dark skies. On the other hand the 16x70 is a significant step up.

edz
Posted 12/18/2006 12:44AM #2
I would suggest trying a pair of 15x50 Canon IS or 18x50's. The 15's have pretty good eye relief and due to their superior coatings and UD glass they seem like a pair of 60 to 70mm binos at times. I use them with and without my glasses and they work very well. They also include female threading like a camera for tripod mounting when using them for long periods of time.
They cost around $900 +- so they are in the ball park of the Fujinons.
Try them out and you might be suprised at how good they are.
Good luck with your choice and clear skies.

George
NY

10" Teleport (R2D2 Jr.)
Celestron Evolution 60th Ann
Canon IS 10x30 bino
Starbase80
E.S. Voyager
Explore Scientific ep's
Wonderful Rescued Greyhound  grin
(Understanding Wife)  wink