Scorpion and Jupiter, August 07

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Hialeah 7 x 50 Binocular Questions

Started by Mike Garretson, 08/31/2014 11:54AM
Posted 08/31/2014 11:54AM Opening Post
My Dad recently passed away and I came across his pair of Hialeah 7 x 50 binoculars. I've tried to search the internet to find out more about the company, but I cannot find anything except for old ebay and astromart ads were folks are trying to sell them. Does anyone have any info about Hialeah? Who made them? Where they any good? While I will obviously keep them for sentimental reasons - I am 56 and can remember my Dad having them since I was a young kid - I wonder if it is worth the cost of having them cleaned and serviced so I can use them occasionally. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike Garretson
Posted 08/31/2014 04:19PM #1
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=748008

Check this ad, is this the same binoculars? Seems they are Japanese made, which could be good.
I see a couple for sale at other places. One set is offered for $50 for bird watching. So, depends on how much you like them and their value to you.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 09/01/2014 07:17PM #2
Actually using them should provide your answer as to their optical & mechanical quality. Only then consider having them dis-assembled by hopefully a qualified business. Why not go ahead & view neighborhood birds as well as trial them under the stars? Use a broom-handle or other such support to steady your view of the Moon this week. BTW, it is possible to mix-up the left & right lenses or even their rotational alignment and thereby throw-off any factory alignment between left and right making them useless. You can clean the outside same as cleaning eyeglasses; seek guidance from a glasses-wearing friend if you are not so familiar.