Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Larger Than 100MM Binoculars ?/ Please read!

Started by vpdwl, 04/11/2003 09:01PM
Posted 04/11/2003 09:01PM Opening Post
Im looking for some reasonably priced 100mm + binoculars. Are there any out there that are of quality that you dont have to take a second mortgage loan out to help purchase them. I own a really nice pair of oberwerk 100mm bt,s with interchangable eyepieces, but as it always happens a little more aperature is desired. Any info on some 110mm, 120mm or whatever is out there would be greatly appreciated.
I dont really want to consider ones that have exit pupils of 5mm or larger.
thanks David L
Posted 04/11/2003 11:09PM #1
Orion doesn't seem to offer Vixen 125mm binos anymore. I would advise you to try to find a Vixen dealer (ATWB?) and see if they can get a pair of the 125's that allow you to use your own 1.25" eyepieces with. Orion offered these just before discontinuing the entire line. That would be the best setup, as you could use wide angle EP's or even Naglers and get superwide fields. And the 45 degree viewing is nice. I own a pair of the Orion/Vixen 25x75x125's, and I wish they (Orion) had offered the interchangeable eyepiece version when I ordered mine, as I would prefer that over what I have.
Orion seems to be constantly discontinuing product lines of late. Seem to now offer pretty much only their "Orion" (Chinese made) binocular optics.
Posted 04/12/2003 01:45PM #2
My global offer for one Dual Achro 120/600 Ziel including AZ2 standard fork mount is US $ 4,990.

It have interchangable eyepiece possibility , so you can use any UHC or O-III Filter with any 1.25" or 2" eyepiece

how about that ?

Markus Ludes
APM-Telescopes/Germany

Attached Image:

apmtelescopes's attachment for post 66453

clear skies

Markus Ludes
APM-Telescopes/Germany
Posted 05/01/2012 03:00PM #3
Hi, all -- just to reinforce a few comments already made -- straight thru viewing isn't for the faint of heart (or neck). Plan to be on your back or with potential neck strain. I own and love my Nikon 20x120's which provide really beautiful sky views. I've jerry rigged my own mount but it's still a bit clumsy to use.

Bob Polcyn