Triangulum M33

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Looking for the Best Big Binos

Started by bullwinkle, 08/23/2006 08:55AM
Posted 08/23/2006 08:55AM Opening Post
I recently caught the astronomy bug and a bunch of us are forming a club in my WI town. A number of guys already have telescopes and I am thinking of buying big binoculars to offer something different for the club, and after reading one man's preference for using big binoculars over his 10in Dobsonian it seems like a good strategy. However, I can't find any review of a number of big binos. The Celestron 25x100 is the lowest cost but is it the same quality as Oberwerks? What about Garrett and others? Is there a review of big binos (at least 3 or 6 of them) comparing them? I read Consumer Reports but don't think they did anything on big binos. I appreciate help from anyone who has lots of experience with big binos.
Thank you in advance,
Greg smile
Posted 08/23/2006 11:45AM | Edited 08/23/2006 11:47AM #1
head over to the cloudy nights website, in the bino section they have over 100 reviews for binos and mounts for binos. http://www.cloudynights.com/

What I know, the public does not approve, and what is approved, I know to be error.
N.C.
Posted 08/23/2006 01:56PM #2
I will be getting a pair of 20x100 right angle binoculars in my next shipment for evaluation. These are made to the same internal specs as our smaller binos. If they work as well as I expect, we will sell them also. I evaluated a straight thru model of a 4" binocular, but I feel for such a large device the right angle eyepieces are the only way to go. The 4" binos are really really big (like holding a 6" RFT refractor on a small tripod), and with the straight thru eyepieces they end up having to be placed high up in the air - too high for most tripods to be stable. With a right angle bino, you can sit comfortably on a low stool and have the binos at a more reasonable level without extending the tripod legs to wobblidomcity. Only drawback is that a right angle bino requires more costly prisms and mechanics, which increases the price.

Rolando