Evening Grosbeak

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nikon 8X40 Action Extreme

Started by astroham2003, 01/18/2006 06:27PM
Posted 01/18/2006 06:27PM Opening Post
Anyone use this binocular? Is it true that most of the binoculars one purchases online instead of a store that they need to be sent back to the company to have it collimated?
Posted 01/19/2006 09:20AM #1
I have not used that model, but it gets good reviews on the yahoo binocular group. Be sure they are Action Extreme, though, and not just the Action ones, which are said to be inferior.

I don't think collimation is an issue of whether you buy them on-line or in a store; more of a quality control sort of thing. The guy who runs the Big Binoculars company, for example, checks out each pair he sends out. You pay maybe a little more, but his prices are still very reasonable. Nikon seems like a reputable company that would have the requisite amount of QC to make sure they were collimated at the factory, but who knows for sure?

Hugh Bartlett

"Praise the Lord for the expanding grandeur of creation, worlds known and unknown, galaxies beyond galaxies, filling us with awe and challenging our imaginations." 2007 Reform Siddur
Posted 01/19/2006 09:51AM #2
john shea said:

Anyone use this binocular? Is it true that most of the binoculars one purchases online instead of a store that they need to be sent back to the company to have it collimated?

I used it and it is a pretty nice binocular. I paid $129 new for the 8x40 AE.

No that is not true. To this day, I have not had to adjust any of the htree Nikon AEs I bought online.

edz