NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nikon14x40 vs Canon12x36IS

Started by jason33, 03/05/2010 04:06PM
Posted 03/05/2010 04:06PM | Edited 03/05/2010 06:23PM Opening Post
I did a head to head comparison of the Nikon 14x40 Stable eyes and the Canon 12x36IS. Here is what I found.
1. Focusing.. Canon is the winner here. (both good but the Canon was smother and faster)
2. Build Quality.. Nikon is the winner.
3. Weight..Canon is the winner by far.. Its just hard and uncomfortable to hold the Nikon for an extended period of time due to the weight.
4. Lens Quality..Canon has a flatter field..Nikon is a little sharper than the Canon with the image stabilization on. This can be see when used for astronomy, but only really on the brightest of objects, such as the planets. On regular star clusters,such as Pleadies, they are the same.
5. Color correction..Nikon is the winner by a very,very slight margin. Both are very well color corrected...
6. Color rendition.. Canon is the winner. When looking at trees or birds for example, the Canon's show better and brighter colors...
7. Image stabilization.. Nikon is the winner by quite a bit..
Overall I think the Canon is the winner here..Flat field optics and better color rendition combined with low weight..I sent the Nikons back...
Jason
Posted 03/05/2010 05:51PM #1
Very helpful review! Thanks. Just curious how
you define color correction -- what property are you
looking at?

5. Color correction..Nikon is the winner by a very,very slight margin.
Posted 03/06/2010 01:29AM #2
Thank you for the review. That fixes my aperture fever in stabilized binoculars!

"Praise the Lord for the expanding grandeur of creation, worlds known and unknown, galaxies beyond galaxies, filling us with awe and challenging our imaginations." 2007 Reform Siddur