My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: 30 x 80 celestrons

Started by DrThud, 01/25/2013 06:57PM
Posted 01/25/2013 06:57PM Opening Post
Hello, Billy.

As I recall, the 30x80's field of view was 2 degrees (105 ft. @ 1000 yds.). Meade marketed a similar unit, but their specs noted 2.3 degrees. As was typical, back then, these and many other 80mm giants were Vixen products. The eyepieces did not sport high eye relief, and their apparent field was in the ~65-degree range (likely Konig- or Erfle-variant designs). None were fully multicoated, back then. Orion's more-recent "MegaView" models, however, WERE fully multicoated. The older Celestrons specified "fully coated" optics, while the Meades offered "coated optics." Other brands included Unitron, Carton, Swift, Hilkinson, et.al. The 20x80 range was (and is) much more popular. My own experience with 30x80s was limited to one pair (Celestron) during a single day/night, some 22 years ago. I recall no real surprises: they weren't bad; weren't awesome; a decent 30x view with expected field-edge astigmatism and coma. I don't remember any sense of "tunnel vision" - the wide-angle eyepieces likely helped in that regard. But I wouldn't call the view "expansive," either. wink

Hope that helps a little.
Best wishes.
-Dan