M97 Owl nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Reflecting mirror for binoculars?

Started by rolandlinda3, 05/17/2010 12:51AM
Posted 05/17/2010 12:51AM Opening Post
I tried this on the telescope-making thread, but no answers, so thought I would try here....I use a Trico Sky Window with binoculars when sketching objects. Works great and like it. But I would like to try constructing my own window/reflector someday. Anyone every tried this and have some pictures or guidance? I have heard of mirrors from old copiers being used ... all the way to plain mirrors. I have heard of mounts from wood to metal to plastic. But it was all too long ago and I do not have any current links or information. If you have, let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Roland Beard
site: www.christworksministries.org
blog: www.rolandlinda3.wordpress.com
Posted 05/17/2010 03:38AM | Edited 05/17/2010 04:29PM #1
If the info you previously accessed still exists on the www, you Do Not neccessarily require a hyperlink address; you Do need to initiate a few self-Searches per subject matter via google dot com. I never Bookmark anything anymore as the Search function is so quick & unclutters my pc.
Posted 05/19/2010 04:32AM | Edited 05/19/2010 04:38AM #2
Roland,
I observe with binoculars, but not a mirror, so I can't personally offer much help there. One issue is, the higher the magnification, the more nearly perfectly flat the mirror must be.

But over on the Cloudy Nights astronomy forum, there is a very active subforum on binoculars that I think you might enjoy. I did a quick search over there, using the forum's own search utility, on the word "mirror", and came up with lots of stuff from discussions, some of which you would probably find useful. Unfortunately, my attempt to provide the link to the search result failed, but try searching yourself, or better, join us, and just pop the question, and I know you would get some good answers.
Ron