Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Solar Filters for Zeiss 20x60 Binoculars?

Started by paul.knight, 01/07/2015 05:54PM
Posted 01/07/2015 05:54PM Opening Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for solar filters that will work with Zeiss 20x60s binoculars? I contacted Thousand Oaks and they said none of theirs will work and that I would have to fabricate my own system.
See attached image for dimensions.

Attached Image:

paul.knight's attachment for post 58994
Posted 01/08/2015 06:18AM #1
Hi Paul- First get yourself some Bader Solar filter sheets from Astrophysics. Take your Binos to Home Depot and find some PVC fittings that will fit over the barrel of the objectives, then find some fittings that will fit inside those and cut your solar film to fit. Now you are in business, but 20x is trouble if you are going to hand hold them. I have 10x50 that are so equipped and are used every clear morning. THey work great, but I still need to lean on something to steady even 10x.
Regards
Keith Parizek
Posted 01/08/2015 08:13AM #2
Hi Paul, I have the same Zeiss 20x60 IS binos and absolutely LOVE them. I'm sure that with solar filters hand-held (IS engaged of course) that would be steady enough to get a quick look at spots. Biggest problem in-use would be even FINDING the sun in an otherwise black sky. At 20x, we know how tough that can be. So a tripod would make sense. Also, the same goes for ergo comfort...with the straight thru view, it can get uncomfortable looking up for much more than a minute. Regarding filters, I had found with my TeleVue Genesis 100mm telescope that those glass filters have TERRIBLE wavefront so went instead to a LUNT Herschel wedge which is absolutely wonderful. You (actually WE!) would need unusually-good foil or glass front-filters to take advantage of the superb resolution of the Zeiss binos...but at what the 20x60 IS cost...expect we would pay the price if such filters can be found. All that said, the foil would seem to be the best bet because if you get a big sheet you can search around for good regions with a telescope before deciding which pieces to cut out for use. Bio: I was an aerospace (optical) scientist so spent my whole life building stuff. Usual disclaimer - don't look at the sun without proper filter! And don't send raw sun thru ANY binos! It would probably fry the structures around the prisms before even getting out the tail end! Tom Dey

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos