Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What mount do you use?

Started by fblue, 10/20/2004 11:08PM
Posted 10/20/2004 11:08PM Opening Post
How many here use a tripod and how many use a Parallelogram or othr mount?
Why? What do you like best about your mount?
I am trying to decide which I want to build.
Thanks,
Floyd

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 10/21/2004 12:03AM | Edited 10/21/2004 12:07AM #1
I use a Bogen 3221 WN tripod with 3433(501) fluid head. The head is rated for 13.2 lbs and so is the tripod. This combo can reach about 6.5 ft. Center column travel is ~17 in. I also have the Bogen 3246 tripod with the same fluid head that can reach over 7.5 ft. The tripod is rated for 26ls.

The 501 fluid head has adjustable tension knob to match the wt of my binos. Works great with my 3.6lb 20X80 LW or 8.5 lb 25X100. Also tried it with my friend's Oberwerk 22X100.

I like using the fluid head instead of a ParrellO mount because the ease of(NO) set-up. Just grab the mounted binos, take off the lens caps and I am ready to observe.

My friend has the Universal Astronomics T mount light P mount for his 22X100. Last time we went observing together it took him 5-10 minutes to set up the mount, fit the counter wt and attach the binos in the dark. Took me ~ 1 minute to extend my tripod, slide on my 25X100 with attached QR plate to fluid head and I was ready. Nothing else the keep track of except to make sure I had the lens caps in my pocket....

A parallelO mount is very nice but your head position is the same as using a fluid head unless you are sitting in a reclining chair.

Erik D
Posted 10/21/2004 04:05PM | Edited 10/21/2004 04:59PM #2
I use both for my Fujinon 16 x 70s. I modified a UA light mount by making a new L-bracket and mounting a Bogen 3130 quick release fluid head. I did this because the standard "light" mount does not have good lateral movement and I also wanted quick release. The "deluxe" version has much better movement but still nowhere the movement I get with the fluid head. The downside is that one does have to lock down the motion knob on the fluid head if you take your hands completely off the binos. I don't mind this.

The tripod I use is a Bogen 3221 that also has a 3130 fluid head attached which make mounting and transferring the binos a snap. I use both at different times for different reasons but for extended viewing especially near zenith you just can't beat a parallel mount. These "tall" versions of Bogen's heavy tripods give lots of height which (of course) is necessary for straight view binos.

You don't say what size binos you want to use and I'm sure that will have a great influence on the type/size of your mount. Regardless of what binos you want to use, the parallelogram type mount is the ultimate in comfort at (maybe) the expense of reduced mobility.

Attached Image:

Kevin Conville's attachment for post 84071
Posted 10/25/2004 09:19PM #3
I mounted my RA-88s on a Meade fork from an old 8" SCT. It gives nice slow motion controls and i will be putting encoders and DSC on it soon.

Attached Image:

ccdfreak's attachment for post 84198

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX