Scorpion and Jupiter, August 07

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Zeiss 20x60 mechanics

Started by paul.knight, 01/06/2015 09:43AM
Posted 01/06/2015 09:43AM Opening Post
I just bought a pair of these. They are absolutely amazing. Does anyone have any detailed information on how the mechanics of these work? I have researched this as far as I can on the internet but have not found anything beyond "they use a gimbal system" and "they don't need batteries." More information explaining the magic would be much appreciated. Thanks! -Paul
Posted 01/09/2015 04:51AM #1
Yeah - when I got mine, I had the same curiosity but found no details. But, being a physicist...I'll just guess! I DID learn there are magnets in there and of course oil. I can see where the viscosity of oil might serve as high-freq dampening while still allowing the pointing drift which would of course be the intentional part of using the binos. So the prism(s) are literally "floating" in oil in some tandem fashion that only addresses the 2 DOFs associated with pointing while leaving the others associated with focus and field rotation unaffected. When you engage the safety clutch that "clunk" would be (other?) magnets engaging the benign but effective lock-down. I have used (Newport) ON/OFF magnets that accomplish that via rotating one magnet within another so they cancel or add...giving the magical sense if turning the clutch on/off with no power needed of course. All other IS binos use powered accelerometers and servos...which I understand have responsivity and time-delay problems. I LOVE the Zeiss 20x60 IS and they have been around a pretty long time without users complaining...unless they abuse and break them! Damaged IS system repair is $2500 last I looked. Mine are fine and I'm very careful who I even share them with. The MSRP on these binos has recently INCREASED from $7333 to $8000 - Yikes! Must mean there are deep-pocket users out there willing to pay the price and that these continue to enjoy deserved reputation as "the best." Tom Dey

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos