Burgess Binoviewer Corrector

Started by DonDurbin, 07/17/2005 02:47AM
Posted 07/17/2005 02:47AM Opening Post
Hi All,

I have to say that I really had doubts when I looked at that $29 corrector. It just looks like the lower element out of a Barlow with 1 1/4" thread.

I walked outside and I saw a hole through the cloud layer. I grabbed my Orion 8" Atlas and put it on the Orion Atlas mount. I swung around to the moon centered it in the finder and could not find it in the eyepiece. I really hate the dovetail finder mounts on the Orion DOBs and reflectors. After tuning to the brightest point with dec and RA and resetting the finder, I popped in the Burgess binoviewer with the corrector and could not quite focus. The 2" to 1 1/4" adapter was one of those high-hat with the 'T' threads. I went inside and got the ultra low profile adapter and slid the binoviewer with corrector home. I actually had to rack out a little to come to focus on the moon.

Bottom line is that it works!! :>) I admit I did not think it would. That 100mm light path has got to be the main factor in making that thing work.

I bet with a focal reducer and an extension tube I could get that 2X power down pretty low.

Don Durbin
Burgess BV125 Model C
Burgess binoviewer corrector
Original 22mm BlackNights with Diopters and focal reducer
45mm Elite BlackNights with Diopters
Sieberts 1.3X OCA, Sieberts UltraBarlow, Sieberts Multimag OCA.
(Semi, almost)Denk IIs
Denkmeier 2" SCT Star Diagonal (Modified)
Denkmeier 2" Star Sweeper SE
Denkmeier 1 1/4" Star Sweeper SE
SAC focal reducer
Meade ETX90
Stellarvue 102APO
Orion 100ED
Celestron C9.25
Orion Atlas 8"
50% Orion XT10
Meade 152ED
TAK FS-128
Coronado SM-40/BF10

Posted 07/20/2005 02:08AM #1
To All,

I brought out the 8" Orion Atlas tonight and focused on Jupiter. I used a pair of Siebert 24mm Ultra wides. I had to go all the way out on the focuser on this scope using a single Siebert 24mm Ultra wide. There have been some EPs that I needed a short extension in order to reach focus when using this scope.

This scope has always had good in-travel. With the Siebert 24mm Ultra wides in the Burgess and the Burgess corrector installed. I had to rack the focuser almost all the way in to reach focus. I measured the in-travel I needed to focus at 1.4" or 35mm.

Don Durbin
Posted 07/22/2005 04:01AM #2
Don, where did you get the low profile adapter? I too got the Burgess corrector lens for my XT10, but was disappointed to find that I'm still about 1/8" short of being able to come to focus.

Jeff