Burgess Binoviewer Filter threads

Started by DonDurbin, 02/10/2005 10:39PM
Posted 02/10/2005 10:39PM Opening Post
Well, we have had the first glitch with the Burgess binoviewer.

I have a nifty little focal reducer made by Sieberts Optics that screws right into my 22mm BlackNights. When I use this with the Siebert 1.3X OCA I get a really great image and a gain of less than one. Its great with a small refractor.

So I tried to screw this into the standard filter threads in my Burgess binoviewer. It goes in maybe a turn. So I got out some standard 1 1/4" filters. One was an Orion Skyglow and the other was an Orion UltraBlock. Same thing with them. They will not screw into the little Burgess Bino. They also will not screw into either of the pair of free Burgess 20mm Eyepieces. The screw into ant of my Televue eyepieces perfectly as well as the 22mm BlackNights.

Since they don't work in either the Eyepieces or the binoviewer, I am guessing that I am not alone here. Has anyone else seen this?

This should be easy to fix. Its not like the barrel is not the right size. Its more like the threads are not cut to the right depth. I am pretty sure if I had the right tap I could chase these threads clean/ It looks like they used a lot of blackening on them. Maybe that is the whole problem.

Any way... I still love the images I get with my 18mm radians. Of course we are still talking daytime use. It currently snowing outside. I am hoping for a partial clearing on Saturday.

Don Durbin
Denk IIs coming UPS
Burgess BV125 Model C
Original 22mm BlackNights with Diopters
45mm Elite BlackNights with Diopters
Sieberts 1.3X OCA, Sieberts UltraBarlow, Sieberts Multimag OCA.
Denkmeier 2" SCT Star Diagonal
Stellarvue AT1010
Meade ETX90
Stellarvue 102APO
Celestron C9.25
Orion Atlas 8"
Meade 152ED

Posted 02/11/2005 06:37PM #1
To follow up on the Burgess filter threads problem, I pulled off the nose piece and I found that what should be threads are actually concentric rings. I contacted the dealer I purchased the binoviewer from and was told I needed to contact Burgess for a replacement nose piece.

I have contacted Burgess by both email and voicemail.

I learned on another forum that some other people have experienced the same problem. So when getting one of these units I suggest you check that the nose piece easily accepts threaded filters.

Don Durbin
Denk IIs coming UPS
Burgess BV125 Model C
Original 22mm BlackNights with Diopters
45mm Elite BlackNights with Diopters
Sieberts 1.3X OCA, Sieberts UltraBarlow, Sieberts Multimag OCA.
Denkmeier 2" SCT Star Diagonal
Stellarvue AT1010
Meade ETX90
Stellarvue 102APO
Celestron C9.25
Orion Atlas 8"
Meade 152ED