Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

BV's and neb filters

Started by Larry Seguin, 01/02/2008 08:43PM
Posted 01/02/2008 08:43PM Opening Post
Is any one finding nebula filters useful with their BV's? I'm using the BO/Orion/WO type unit with a Siebert oca: 22mm clear aperture, operating around 2X or so. I haven't been finding them very useful, and wondering if I'm missing something somewhere. Maybe it's that--at that magnification--I'm hitting the oft-cited 2mm exit pupil where I've found filter usefulness to start dropping off anyway. Just curious as to what the rest of you all have found.
Posted 01/02/2008 11:10PM #1
I've used them, particularly on Orion Nebula. But my SV102ABV is bino ready so I can binoview without additional magnification of the eyepieces, giving me a brighter image to start with. Which filter(s) are you using?

David E
Posted 01/03/2008 02:55AM #2
Hi All,

I have used an O3 filter with my Burgess 24mm and a focal reducer on my C9.25. That is a pretty good combination. Both Siebert and Denk have focal reducers that work great with an SCT and binoviewers. The 100mm light path binoviewers like Burgess and others make focusing easy.

If you use the largest EP that you can, depending on how much vignetting you can stand and you add to that a focal reducer you can get a nice wide field with plenty of light to use with your nebula filters.

Don