NGC 1893

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Chinese clone binoviewers on backorder?

Started by Charles Geiger, 12/22/2005 05:54PM
Posted 12/22/2005 05:54PM Opening Post
I ordered my WO binoviewers about 6 weeks ago from Anacortes. I was informed they would be here before Thanksgiving and now it looks as if they won't make it before Christmas. Anyone in the same boat?

Also I have recently read the WO binoviewers come supplied with thick grease which can get on the oculars and that the compression ring set screws actually diminish the self centering aspects for oculars...anyone care to comment or advise? I have also read it would be good to orient the set screws in the same direction (both sides) so that at least your centering will be off in nearly the same amount on each side. Someone also said one can remove the grease using Q-tips and alcohol...what do you think?
Posted 12/22/2005 08:37PM #1
Hi Charles,
I have not seen any grease so far. I also have not had a problem with the compression rings, but not a lot of time so far with them. I also was told to keep the screws in the same angle with each other, but did not see a problem
when I did not do this. You can always not use the compression ring by removing it I suppose. Or put a rubber band behind it and let the equal pressure hold them in place. Then it would be like self centering units. I am thinking about doing this myself.
The OCA does not work in a DOB however and if you have a DOB you will need an extention or a OCA.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 12/22/2005 08:57PM #2
Charles Geiger said:

I ordered my WO binoviewers about 6 weeks ago from Anacortes. I was informed they would be here before Thanksgiving and now it looks as if they won't make it before Christmas. Anyone in the same boat?

In fact, I am in the opposite boat, selling my unit here on AM ;-)
Posted 12/24/2005 01:20AM #3
Hi, I do not know anything about the grease
situation, but I do know many tink that a
brass compression ring equals self-centering -
it doesn't. You're still pushing the barrel of
the eyepiece from one direction to the other
with a setscrew. The ring simply ensures you
won't mar the barrel with the setscrew.

"Don't drop the banana!"
"Why not?"
"Good source of potassium!"
Posted 01/08/2006 05:13PM #4
Charles,
I ordered from Anacortes also on 11-28-05 and they're still not here.

Larry