Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

first light

Started by jonheradas, 11/18/2012 03:14PM
Posted 11/18/2012 03:14PM Opening Post
[COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR]After years of using simple Nikon 7x35 binoculars for portable sky watching, I decided to spend some reasonable money after some basic research and came up with a TV 76mm APO, TV binovuers and I started with TV 8x24 EP's which I am adding to with a sets of TV 2.5mm Nagler T6's, 11mm NT6's and 22mm panoptics. ( I worked for some time in industry, and education; but, coming from an extended family of autoworkers for 3 generations, I appreciate keeping our jobs at home and supporting optics and accessories made in America, and if possible, Canada...meaning anywhere in NA, I just happen to be a Canuk) Lest I digress too far outa focus.....

I had a 20 minute window of opportunity to aim my rig NE at that bright spot in the sky I knew had to be a planet and called over my wife to inspect Jupiter with its apparent banding and its moon just peeking out of the 2 o'clock position....all done with a modicum of awe and a pleasant adrenal rush... my first light !

Looking forwards to years of healthy, fascination with the night sky - running from clouds and setting up quickly!

I think binos are for me, and it appears from the extent of detailed commentary and equipment-- I have alot to learn and experiment with....I have a little technical savy being a tech math person at college and in metal work/fabrication which I have used in micro machining watch and clocks...Now retired after 38 years and looking to use some skills, advice and direction from whoever and wherever to accomplish this end. Clear Skies !
Posted 11/18/2012 08:06PM #1
Binoviewers are very nice and can give great veiws of the heavens. Hope you get many long nights out with your new toys. grin

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 11/19/2012 12:08PM #2
Hi John,

Welcome to the wonderful world of two eyed viewing!

Using both eyes provides a greater clarity of the image. You get a built in magnification that provides more detail. You can prove this by simply closing one eye and then opening it while looking through your binoviewer. The object you are looking at will appear to increase in size by 20% or more when using both eyes. For me there is actually less eye strain when using a binoviewer. I have noticed that back and neck strain may be more prevalent due to longer observing sessions and angles caused by the use of binoviewers.

When not using a scope with tracking and using a little imagination, a high magnification view of the moon results in a fantastic flight over the lunar landscape.

Enjoy,
Don