My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

I Shall Bino-view..... tomorrow

Started by mmorris, 04/21/2004 08:20PM
Posted 04/21/2004 08:20PM Opening Post
Hello everyone,

After a lot of should I or shouldn't I, I have a new TV unit on it's way to me in Colorado from ATWB. It's to be delivered tomorrow, and as expected the weather-guessers say it will snow tomorrow night, (ya gotta love spring-time in the Rockies). In addition to the usual reasons for getting a bv, the real clincher for me was the prospect of eliminating or greatly reducing floaters, which are a significant problem for me in mono viewing. I am very excited about that.

Anyway, I know zero about binoviewers first hand. But, from my hours upon hours of reading on the topic I believe that I know the following:

My f/15 Mak will work without the 2x corrector,
the bv will give me a .25x increase by itself,
and low power ep's (ie. 32mm Plossls) will work ok.
If any of this is incorrect feel free to set me straight.

The big question I have is this, since my scope will
work without the corrector, is there any advantage to using it anyway?

Thanks in advance for an answer to that, and any other helpful hints you can toss my way. I will hopefully be able
to get first light with the binoviewers in the next couple of days, I have my fingers crossed.

MM

Posted 04/21/2004 09:11PM #1
Mark,for your application I can't see any big advantage. A corrector makes a good barlow if you need one.
Depending on the aperture of your MAK and the manufacturer
which both affect how much mirror movement is necessary to reach focus, you may not have increased your magnification by 25%, it could be less,a daytime test of field of view with and without bino at close to infinity focus would give you an accurate measurement. Siebert Optical makes a focal
reducer that can make your combination of MAK and TV bino operate at half the F ratio they would normally have. If you can reach focus with your scope this is kind of a neat accessory to have to look at open clusters and asterisms with. The floater reduction is real and nice to have when viewing the planets. I would say you are good to go,welcome to the the two eyed universe, Scotty
Posted 04/21/2004 10:24PM #2
Mark. I'm up near Steamboat, and yes we got 6 inches of snow today. We hav'nt had any clear skies for two weeks!. Spring time in the Rockies is right!.. PS, I believe the Denks give my SCT a 12% increase. Not sure if that is any help.