Cygnus Wall

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Macro pic for checking clear aperture

Started by progenitor, 04/29/2005 10:29PM
Posted 04/29/2005 10:29PM Opening Post
I have just received one sample, reportedly from last batch, of the Chinese NORINCO binoviewers.
The opening at the bottom of the EP end seemed somehow small to my eyes so I took a macro photo of that end, blew it up on the monitor and measured with a ruler: I am getting just 16mm, less than I expected.
Do I make a logical mistake somewhere or is it so ?

Attached Image:

progenitor's attachment for post 23831
Posted 04/30/2005 05:21AM | Edited 04/30/2005 05:55AM #1
David,

I tried to duplicate your image with my unit. I have placed the two images side by side with mine on the left. I have repeatedly measured the opening of the bottom of the eyepiece holder on my Burgess and it is 20mm.

If you have a compass or something similar, try carefully inserting the compass into the eyepiece holder and setting it to the width of the opening, Then remove the compass and measure the distance you have it set to.

The true clear aperture of these units is measured at the bottom of the unit and they are roughly 22mm. There is a little bit of edge clipping by the prism that makes me say roughly.

Don Durbin

Attached Image:

DonDurbin's attachment for post 91226
Posted 04/30/2005 07:32AM #2
David Simper said:
I am getting just 16mm, less than I expected.
Do I make a logical mistake somewhere or is it so ?

Place a scale right against the entrance aperture and take a picture through the eyepiece end (or look through) to see how much of the scale you can see. This will give the true entrance aperture and will account for any internal vignetting.

Roland Christen