The Cygnus Wall in the North American Nebula, NGC7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Matched pairs?

Started by lintonius, 05/03/2006 05:27AM
Posted 05/03/2006 05:27AM Opening Post
Being a recent convert to the binoviewing scene, I am wondering if there is any validity to the term "matched pair". While I'm sure there are very minor differences in performance between two random eyepieces (same manufacturer and type, of course), I have yet to see the "matched pair" option on any EP or vender websites. :S
Perhaps someone can clarify this for me.
Thanks. See you after work...
Linton
Posted 05/03/2006 06:06AM #1
Linton,

Yeah, back when I was binoviewing I used to hear that term a lot too. Never meant much to me, but it does to some folks I suppose. I bought most of my pairs on Astromart from different sellers, though I did buy a couple of brand new pairs too. I never noticed a difference in the views, and never gave much thought to it.

One thing that really stands out in my mind is a pair of 19mm Pans that I bought, one from two different sellers. They both had obviously different looking coatings when held to a bright light. The view through this pair was stunning, and I never gave it another thought.

Just my .02, and I am sure that there will be those that disagree.

Doug
Midway, FL
Posted 05/03/2006 06:28AM #2
Check out the Denkmeier site. They only sell matched pairs for BVing. I know Russ assembles and tests each pair to make sure they are "matched"

Brian G.
Posted 05/03/2006 06:52AM #3
Linton,

I think the biggest thing in eyepieces matching is the point at which they achieve focus. For the most part, you want to be able to pop in the EPs and go. Having to move one EP up or mess with the diopters is a little bit of a pain.

I am a big fan of diopter adjustments for fine focusing or for someone with distinct prescription differences in their eyes, but tweaking in each set of EPs is too much.

For the most part EP bought at the same time from the same manufacturer will be pretty close and not cause you any problems. Televue's are pretty good for holding to a standard with great differences between build times. On the other hand Gary Russell EPs can vary a bit. I purchased two 2" 16.8mm EPs off astromart from different people and ended up with a parfocal ring on one EP just to avoid the problem I described. I have other Gary Russell 2" EPs bought at the same time directly from Gary that are matched perfectly

If you are making pairs from existing single EPs in your collection, you could find a problem. Buying a new pair from a vendor will give you a better chance of not having a problem. Buying a pair from someone else who is binoviewing should also give you a good match.

Don Durbin
Posted 05/03/2006 07:07PM | Edited 05/03/2006 07:08PM #4
Thanks guys!
That's the response I was hoping to hear. wink
I have quite a few EP's in the box already, and had hoped
I could simply pick up another, to pair up with a few of them.
BTW, I sure wish those 2 pairs of 24 Panoptics weren't priced so high! :S
Linton 8)