Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Baader Maxbright-Binoculars use??????

Started by DuckView, 09/09/2006 05:05AM
Posted 09/09/2006 05:05AM Opening Post
They are an upgraded version with better prism mounts than the generic version of the Chinese BV as sold by everybody else.

Harry Siebert will upgrade the generic Chinese binoviewer with better mounts. The downfall of the generic version was the ease with which it lost collimation due to the prism mounts. Baader fixed that problem as well in the Maxbright.

You might consider paying a little bit more and getting the nicer Siebert Black Night 22 binoviewer. They don't get the praise they deserve, and $300 is the biggest bargain in the BV field. Its basically an improved BW Optik that sells elsewhere for up to $800. APM sells the BW Optik for $475 last time I checked. By the time you add a Siebert OCA, the total cost will be no more than going with Baader BV + Baader OCA. The BN22 is also lighter as well as being tougher and better collimated. The Baader Newtonian OCA is considerably bigger and heavier than the 1.8X Siebert Maxlite OCA. Harry Siebert just told me he had upgraded the diopter adjustment on the BN22 and lowered the price of that option. I never felt the need for diopter adjustment, as it's just another thing that creeps out of adjustment when I had my Chinese binoviewer. Diopter adjustment is quick and easy with the self centering EP holders of the Siebert BN22 anyway.