Re: Denkmeier review in S&T

Started by midway199, 02/04/2005 05:32PM
Posted 02/04/2005 05:32PM Opening Post
I always take reveiews where there is one reviewer, with one piece of equipment being reviewed, with a grain of salt. Particularly on mass-produced "things" some less-than-satisfactory-units are bound to hit the marketplace. But if multiple reviewers with multiple units test and find some common defect(s), I'd put more stock in the possibility of getting a bad one myself. That's the way I look at reveiws.

Matthew Sherman
Posted 02/04/2005 08:35PM #1
Bear in mind that the products that were submitted to Sky and Telescope for review were directly obtained from the
manufacturer and the functionality of the binoviewer and its accessories were completely under the control of the manufacturer. They were not purchased by the magazine at random from a vendor.These units are not mass manufactured,this is a small company we are talking about
and quality control should be rather simple,you inspect and optically check each product for performance before it is shipped,period. It is possible that Russ has switched sources for his optical elements and they no longer meet spec for his applications. As to why he shipped accessories which have obvious workability problems beyond simple quality control, this remains a mystery. If I was
shipping something to be reviewed by Sky and Telescope
I would have made very sure that it worked as advertised
and meet or exceeded all specifications before shipping it off. Scotty