M42

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Tuthill Stereocular

Started by John F. Powell, 01/06/2004 08:35AM
Posted 01/06/2004 08:35AM Opening Post
I recently purchased a Tuthill Stereocular here on Astromart and after a few weeks of use w/12"LX200, I have to say that I'm a "binoview believer". I owned a Lomo unit two years ago (used w/7"LX200) but sold the unit because it was limited for use on the planets and moon. The Lomo unit also had a marked color difference from side to side. With the Tuthill unit, I've used 10mm and 25mm flat topped Celestron Plossls, 20mm Celestron Erfles, 32mm Omocron Plossls, 14mm Antares w70s and Meade 40mm 4000 SPs with all providing just wonderful views of planets and DSOs. I haven't noticed any color difference from side to side and light loss seems to be minimal...the unit is heavy and the previous owner modified the unit with the addition of a 2" nosepiece which is threaded for 48mm filters...I posted on the Yahoo Binoviewer site and received some feedback from Tom Mote who owned a Tuthill unit a few years ago but has since sold the unit(much to his chagrin)...just out of curiosity, I'd like to get some technical data on this unit, so any feedback would be much appreciated...thanks...John