Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Iris Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

what scope can work the best for binoviwers?

Started by ref68, 01/31/2011 11:30PM
Posted 01/31/2011 11:30PM Opening Post
Hi All.
I'm thinking ED refractor but I do not have that scope now!
Refet.
Posted 02/01/2011 03:38AM #1
I love using my binoviewer on my refractors, however some refractors do not have enough in focus travel to use with a binoviewer without also using some type of OCA/OCS or Barlow. The down side to that is you can end up with more magnification than you want. The ideal setup is a refractor that can focus without all the expensive add-ons.

The style of binoviewer also matters. The cheaper Chinese binoviewers only need 4 inches of in-travel. The Televue needs a little more than 5 inches. Everything else is in between except for 2" binoviewers.

My advice would be to check through different refractors using an eyepiece you want to use in the binoviewer. Bring a celestial object into focus and measure to see how much further you could have racked in the focuser. You can gain a lot by not using a diagonal, but it is a real pain in the neck at night.

My TAK FS-128 is a good example of a refractor that can focus most binoviewers except the Televue without needing additional correctors.

Don
Posted 02/01/2011 09:58AM #2
That obviously depends on what you want to observe. DSOs require aperture no matter what. Even then you will need a certain amount of power to pick out the details. The brighter objects will be great in a mid sized refractor, but will be lots better in a 10" or larger reflector. A binoviewer splits the light so smaller aperture suffers more on dimmer, extended objects. Larger aperture will suffer from a smaller FOV, but more details can be seen.

refet dehari said:

Hi All.
I'm thinking ED refractor but I do not have that scope now!
Refet.