Image of the day

Captured by
Robert Gendler

M42

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Which 1.25" EP gives the widest FOV possible?

Started by DarthVader, 07/16/2003 07:28AM
Posted 07/16/2003 07:28AM Opening Post
I am curious what 1.25" EP will give the widest "usable" FOV in a pair of bino's? Imgage quality must be considered. It doesn't do any good to mathmatically say an EP has a wide FOV if it's hard to view or the image is poor.

Paul Atkinson
Posted 07/16/2003 08:20AM #1
The weatherman has a few choices, scroll down the page to eyepieces http://www.weatherman.com/nagler3.htm
Posted 08/30/2003 12:25PM #2
i have microscope bino (zeiss) modified by dankmieir optics and received a 2x multiplier, starsweeper and variable adapter(VA)... couldn't refuse because they gave me an excellent deal modifying this...thanx Dank-optics!!!!!!!

i wasn't quite sure what this VA does. now i do.. what it does is demagnifies your ep, giving you wider view of the sky....i have meade 8ingps and i could never put the whole moon in the FOV even w/ 40mm ep.... add VA on my bino and voila, i have the whole moon in the FOV. it make it almost 80mm ep. i was very surprised about this effect.. just to test out what i'm seeing, i replaced 40mm w/ 20mm w/ VA and i see same size of the moon as 40mm w/o VA... isn't that interesting. only caution i add is that SCT has long backfocuse and because of that i have no problem... i suspect that reflectors and refractors might not get 1/2x. perhaps 1/4, 1/3, or etc. check w/ dank optics for more info but, this VA is adjustable so, it might be compatible w/ non-SCT scope as well.

one other thing, i'm pretty much into clusters and planets...not much DSO because of my location (1/2hr NW of NYC) therefore, my two TV 8-24mm click eps are my work horse w/ my mod-bino and it's excellent.... i do envy some astronomers w/ naglers and temptation is there but, i must resist....don't have $1000 to spend for 2 eps(have 2 kids, a dog, 2 cats and 15 fresh water fishes) u know what i mean...

i'll never go back to cycloping. good viewing to you all.

steven