Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Why binoviewers are great

Started by Dasuhu, 11/24/2003 10:46PM
Posted 11/24/2003 10:46PM Opening Post
In light of recent conversations, I think it's about time we discuss the positives of BVs and why they are the best thing that hit astronomy since...since...since...well I have not been into astronomy that long...maybe the Nagler eyepiece ?.

I love mine because the view is so...so...awesome. I quickly realized that searching for distant galaxies, or splitting double stars, or takings astropics wasn't my thing, but what made me gasp are the objects that make anybody (newbie and all) gasp: the rings of saturn, the craters of the moon, the belts of jupiter. Those are the kinds of objects that I spend 90% of my observing time on. Take a binoviewer, a few cheap UO orthos, point the scope towards the full moon, and bam, WOW. I can then just sit back and enjoy the show. The feel IMVHO that that view through the 43-degree wide UO orthos with BV were more engaging than a Nagler of similar mag. Just a newbie opinion though.
Posted 11/25/2003 12:33AM #1
Your right Dan. Not everyone has the money to go out an buy the Naglers, Pans, and the other expensive eyepieces. But on the other hand you can take a rather cheap pair of 25mm plossl's and put them in the Excellent Quality of the Denkmeier binoviewers, and Wow. The simplest things can make a newbie a believer in looking up. I can't tell you enough how I love my bv. The quality is awasume and i'm sorry that I didn't get one before this. Glad I made the jump to Bv's and with the quality of the other brands being almost as good its an up an coming way to view the night sky.
bob ellis