2" diagonal for a Celestron C5 ???

Started by geomorph, 05/09/2003 03:32AM
Posted 05/09/2003 03:32AM Opening Post
Hi,
Does anyone out there know if it is possible to put a 2" diagonal onto a Celestron C5? I am using it with a digital camera, mostly for terrestrial photography, and would really like the extra light and larger field of view of a quality 2" eyepiece. It would also be great for astronomical observing! I was told that the 2" diagonal will hit the focus knob on the C5, but if the diagonal had a reasonable range of motion, that may not matter to me. Any help would be appreciated.
TA

"The expression of the beautiful is in direct ratio to the power of perception acquired by the artist." (Gustave Courbet)
Posted 05/09/2003 03:54AM #1
I'm not sure if this helps. I have a Williams Optics 2 inch diagonal with a TeleVue 2 inch Visual Back attached to my Nexstar 5i without any obstruction to the focus knob. It works great for me. I'm not sure though if the C5 is configured differently though.
Posted 05/09/2003 04:06AM #2
Hi Tyler,

I have a Celestron G5, and I can use it with my Antares 2" SCT diagonal. It's tight, though. There's only about 4mm between the body of the diagonal and the focus knob so the diagonal can't be rotated into just any viewing position. The G5 will not work with my TV 2" SCT adapter (the non-removeable set screw hits the focus knob, though I could probably install it if I removed the focus knob, screwed the adapter into place then reinstalled the focus knob. Bottom line, I think most 2" SCT specific diagonals would screw on alright, but getting a 2" refractor style plus adapter to work might be more problematic. Hope this helps.