IC 1396 / Elephant Trunk Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Best book about binocular astronomy ?

Started by moutinho, 05/13/2004 02:18PM
Posted 05/13/2004 02:18PM Opening Post
What is the best book about binocular astronomy ?
Thanks,

Andre
Posted 05/13/2004 03:52PM #1
How about _Binocular Astronomy_ by Craig Crossen, Wil Tirion? This is one of my favorite observing guides, both for binoculars and small telescopes. Crossen does a great job of connecting theory to observation and Tirion's Bright Star Atlas in included as a bonus. The only thing I didn't like about this book was its cover, which just goes to show you, ...
Posted 05/14/2004 09:41AM #2
"Touring the Universe Through Binoculars" also has no constellation charts or finder charts, and no photos or drawings of objects. You must get a set of charts to use with it.

Crossen's book on the other hand has a whole sky set of charts in the back of the book and has detailed larger scale finder charts sprinkled throughtout the book. In addition he has included some of the best wide- field photographs showing areas of the sky for cruising with binoculars. Harrington's book dryly details more objects, but Crossen's book "Binocular Astronomy" is a far better choice, not only for binocular observers but also for small scopes.

edz
Posted 05/14/2004 03:39PM #3
I have both books and use Crossen's book far more frequently. Touring the Universe Through Binoculars seems designed to sell the companion software, at extra cost, which completes the book. Crossen's book, in my opinion, is more useful and user friendly.

Walter

Walter Locke
"The Fearless Spectator"

There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
Richard Feynman
US educator & physicist (1918 - 1988)